2018 THEA x SCRIPTD SCREENWRITING CONTEST
- The top three (3) entrants who receive the most online votes will have their Script (as defined below) read by a panel of judges (“Judges”). The Judges will include studio script developers, producers and other industry experts and will select the one (1) grand prize winner based on the judging criteria listed below.
The Grand Prize Winner will receive:
- One  round-trip airline ticket to Austin, Texas (if used);
- One  hotel room in Austin, Texas (if used);
- Up to $150 towards reimbursement of ground transportation expenses; and
- Ticket for winner plus one guest to a reading of the winning script by professional actors to be held at the ChooseATL House during the 2018 SXSW Conference in Austin, Texas.
- No Purchase Necessary.
- All Scripts must be original, and the sole property of the entrant. Writing teams may enter provided that each writer consents to submission of the Script.
- Only entries of feature film screenplays, television teleplays (original pilot scripts only – no miniseries) and streaming/commercial-free format scripts (collectively, “Scripts’) will be accepted. All entries must be made online. No printed scripts sent via any mail service or by personal delivery will be accepted.
- Must be 21 years of age or older at the date of entry and have access to the Internet.
- Must reside in one of the following counties: Barrow, Bartow, Butts, Carroll, Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, Dawson, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnett, Haralson, Heard, Henry, Jasper, Lamar, Meriwether, Morgan, Newton, Paulding, Pickens, Pike, Rockdale, Spalding, Walton.
- All submissions should consist of short length screenplays or teleplays (hour-long approximately 40-75 pages, half-hour approximately 20-35 pages) in standard industry format for motion picture screenplays and teleplays, written in English. Streaming/commercial-free format (e.g., no act breaks) is also eligible for television hour-long and half-hour entries.
- Each entrant may only submit one Script.
- All script entries must be uploaded in PDF format.
- Substitutions of either corrected pages or new drafts of the submitted Script will not be accepted after the entrant submits the Script.
- Scripts will not be returned.
- ONLY include personally identifying information on the title page. DO NOT include any personally identifying information on any other page of the Script. A representative from the Contest Provider (as defined below) will remove the title page prior to submission to the Judges in order to preserve anonymity in the judging process.
- Entry should only consist of a screenplay or teleplay. DO NOT include treatments, resumes, pitches, synopsis, casting suggestions, letters of intention or other supporting documentation with your submission. Judges will not receive these materials.
- Scripts that are optioned, produced or purchased between the time of submission and the end of the judging period will automatically become ineligible. Entrant must immediately notify THEA of any changes in the status of the Script.
- If a submission involves two or more writers and that Script is selected by the Judges as the Grand Prize Winner, only one of the writers will be allowed to claim the grand prize.
- Employees, officers, directors, contractors or agents (and their immediate families and household members regardless of where they live, or members of the same households (whether related or not) of Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce and its respective divisions, affiliates, subsidiaries, THEA SXSW Script Contest sponsors, and advertising agencies (collectively, “Content Providers”), are not eligible to participate in the contest or to win any prize.
The 2018 THEA x SCRIPTD SCREENWRITING CONTEST (“Contest”) will begin at 2:00 pm PST on February 5, 2018 and continue until 11:59 pm PST on February 21, 2018 (“Submission Period”). Anyone with internet access will be able to vote for their favorite script during the Submission Period. The top 3 Scripts that receive the most votes will be presented to the Judges. The Judges will review the top 3 Scripts from February 22, 2018 – March 2, 2018. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on ChooseATL’s website no later than March 5, 2018.
The Judges will review the 3 scripts that receive the most votes during the Submission Period. Judging will be based on the following criteria: (1) Dialogue; (2) Setting; (3) Story Arc; (4) Character Development and (5) Live Reading Potential.
OWNERSHIP AND INDUSTRY RELEASE:
Entrants to the Contest retain all rights to their submitted script. By entering the Contest, you represent and affirm that your entry is an original creative work and does not infringe, misappropriate or violate the copyright, trademark or other intellectual rights of any third party. Further, you acknowledge and agree that the Contest Providers and the Judges receive numerous submissions of ideas, stories and scripts, and that your entry, and the ideas and stories embodied in it, may be similar or identical to other material already received and/or developed by the Contest Providers or one or more Judges. You also agree that you are not entitled to any compensation or credit for use by the Contest Providers or any of the Judges of any such material.
By agreeing to these Official Rules, you agree that you have read these rules in their entirety and that you have the authorization to submit this Script to the 2018 THEA x SCRIPTD SCREENWRITING CONTEST. You further agree that your Script is owned solely by you (and co-authors, where applicable).
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. All federal, state and local laws and regulations shall apply.
BY SUBMITTING THE SCRIPT, YOU HEREBY AGREEE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS METRO ATLANTA CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES, SPONSORS, ADVERTISING AGENCIES AND EACH JUDGE FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, LOSSES, DAMAGES AND EXPENSES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ATTORNEYS’ FEES AND COURT COSTS) IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION OF YOUR SCRIPT AND/OR THAT MAY BE INCURRED BY REASON OF ANY CLAIM INVOLVING COPYRIGHT, TRADEMARK, CREDITS, AND/OR PUBLICITY TO THE SCRIPT ENTERED.